Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Does this computer come with the internets?"

As I've complained on Facebook in the past, my computer is a dinosaur. Or should I say "was"? Yes, that's right, after 8 years of using what is quite possibly the first laptop ever made, I finally got a new computer!

A good friend of ours is a computer guy, and built the tower. My ability to multi-task on this computer is incredible! I can have several browsers and tabs open at the same time and this thing doesn't even flinch, whereas my laptop would get bogged down and then need to be restarted.

"You mean to say that I can do photo editing with a browser or two open, and it won't crap out on me?" The answer is yes. "And I can even listen to music online...at the same time?" Yes again. "I can even use it to play a movie on the tv, while still working on the computer (but probably not listening to music, since the tv is right next to my desk) and this thing won't explode from the extreme multitasking??" Yes! It's amazing!

I probably sound like a time traveler from the 1980s, witnessing technology for the first time (although it would be odd that I would have a time traveling machine, then...). But you have to understand how exciting this is for a girl who was using a laptop that had less memory space than a blu-ray dvd. An iPhone touch has more power than my laptop. A stinking cell phone! Don't get me wrong, I love my laptop and it served me well for a long time (and will continue to be a good backup when I need portability)...this is just a great illustration of how often technology is updated and how quickly things can become obsolete. What used to take me 3-4 hours to accomplish (paying bills and balancing the checkbook, reading and responding to email, and researching prices on newborn cloth diapers, for example) now takes about an hour on this new computer. I'm always wishing for more time in the day, well, my average day has just been extended. Now where is that genie? I'd like to cash in on some more wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment