Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fun with cherries

I love this time of year, when berries and cherries are in season, and well-stocked at the market. For today's afternoon snack I washed a bunch of cherries, and cut the pit out of the ones for Claire. She was happily eating her halved cherries while I tended to Arden when I saw her slip away; I walked in the direction she had run and noticed a pink swirl on the wall around her eye level and knew she must be in a creative mood.

"Claire?" I called. She reappeared.

"Please don't smear your cherries on the wall, ok? Cherries are only for eating, not drawing." I tried to hide a smile, realizing how ridiculous my request sounded.

She ran and hid underneath her little table, so I followed and knelt down to peek under the table. I wanted her to know that I wasn't mad, but I was serious about not drawing on the walls with food. When I looked under the table I was met with a big grin surrounded by a pink-swirled face.

"No cleaning the walls with cherries?" she asked innocently.

"No, no cleaning the walls OR drawing on our faces and hair with cherries, please." Guess who's getting a bath tonight? At least it's better than permanent marker...











3 comments: