Thursday, June 24, 2010

One of those days

Have you ever had one of those days? The kind where you keep finding yourself sighing and saying, "are you kidding me?" because it's just one thing after another?

The day started out fine, with plans to bake a crumb cake, meet a group of friends at a park in the morning, and meet up with another friend to hit a farmer's market in the afternoon.

So after getting out of bed at 5:30 I took the girls downstairs to get started on breakfast and preparing for the day. Yesterday morning I had mixed up the dough for the crumb cake - made with sourdough starter - and covered it with a dish towel for the 24 hour ferment/rise. When I pulled the towel off this morning I noticed something moving...a little bug running along the surface. Figuring he probably wasn't traveling alone and feeling really grossed out I threw the dough away, bummed because I was wasting it and wouldn't have the tasty treat for breakfast. "Oh well," I thought, "we have vanilla yogurt, homemade granola with walnuts, and fresh strawberries and blueberries; that sounds really good!" So we ate that.

After breakfast I tended to the chicken stock that had been simmering on the stove all night. I carefully took all of the pieces out of the liquid, and separated the meat from the bones (a tedious process, but oh so worth it! I love making chicken salad, enchiladas, and other meals from the meat, and the stock always comes in handy while cooking.) I packed a picnic lunch, got myself and Claire ready, and somehow it was almost 9:00.

The plan was to leave at 9, so I nursed Arden and then laid her down on my bed so I could throw my hair into a ponytail. As soon as I did she started projectile spitting up - it was as if she had a hose in her mouth, turned on high, spewing a steady stream of liquid. This is unusual for Arden, so I was a little alarmed. I grabbed her to keep her upright, and it kept flowing. In all it must have been 2 or 2.5 cups of breastmilk (how did she get that much in there in the first place?!) that drenched her, me, and the bed. I quickly mopped it up and changed her outfit and diaper. We were 30 minutes late to the park, which isn't a huge deal, but it certainly wasn't a relaxing morning, either.

We had fun with our friends, but when we got home I saw the bowl of chicken sitting on the table. I had forgotten to put it in the fridge before leaving, and it sat out for 6 hours. (*sigh*) After dumping it in the garbage, Claire refused to nap. I could tell she was exhausted, in fact she could barely keep her eyes open, but she did everything she could to keep her body moving to avoid sleep. I was wiped out and had really been looking forward to the break (and bummed that my streak was over - for the last 5 or so weeks I had been getting both girls to nap at the same time!) Later when we got to the farmer's market I realized that I had forgotten my sling for Arden at home. By the way this day is going I guess I'm lucky I didn't forget Arden!

When I was going through the mail I came across a letter from the insurance company regarding my settlement. Directions on the form include signing it in front of a notary - this is extremely frustrating because I just spent 45 minutes at the bank YESTERDAY having the form for Arden's birth certificate notarized.

And there's even more, but I'm tired of complaining and I realize that these are minor things to be complaining about in the first place.

Can this day just be over, please?

2 comments: